Want to be more involved in bringing Abolition to Kansas?
Then check out this open position, it might just be perfect for you!
JOB DESCRIPTION – FIELD ORGANIZER
Job Title: Field Organizer
Position Type: Full-time
Reports To: Executive Director
Salary: Based on Experience
The Kansas Coalition Against the Death Penalty (KCADP) is a non-profit organization that is preparing for a legislative campaign. The field organizer will be a vital part of this campaign, responsible for traveling to and organizing within key legislative districts under the Executive Director’s supervision and oversight. With a specific focus on Wichita and Western Kansas area supporters – including victims’ families, law enforcement officials, political conservatives, moderates and liberals and diverse faith groups – the field organizer will carry out systematic outreach with the goal of building grassroots support for repeal and identifying key volunteers and partners.
Essential duties and responsibilities include:
- Collaborate with and mobilize strategically important constituency groups
- Identify ways to develop new leadership among members and supporters
- Build coalitions and networks within targeted legislative districts
- Plan and execute educational events in targeted areas of the state
- Assist in trainings on speaking, advocacy and grassroots lobbying
- Prepare written materials (such as fliers and brochures) to support overall grassroots campaign
- Work closely with the Executive Director to ensure grassroots organizing efforts advance legislative goals as specified in the strategic plan
- Speak on behalf of KCADP at meetings, events, and other venues
- Work with staff and volunteers to ensure that the database is up to date
- Contribute to the KCADP’s newsletter as requested
- Send out action alerts and updates to KCADP members
- Confident public speaker
- Commitment to ending the death penalty
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal skills; familiarity with internet/social media
- Comfortable working with and motivating volunteers in various projects
- Ability to interface with diverse population groups
- Attentiveness to detail and ability to work under pressure
- Self-starter, but respectful of team goals and processes
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends
- A valid driver’s license, auto insurance and ability to drive within the state as needed
- Experience with community organizing; experience in event planning a plus
- Proficiency in Word, Excel and PowerPoint; use of Publisher a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in social service or human services discipline
Please email your resume and a cover letter to Mary Sloa (maryKSabolitionorg) n at maryKSabolitionorg.